The above photo: Jimmy “Duck” Holmes at The Mississippi Bicentennial stamp unveiling in Gulfport, MS . Mr. Holmes’ hands appear on the recently issued U.S. Stamp. (Photos by Stephen Anderson / Page Design by J. Cole)
Click Here for Previous Covers
- SXSW 2017: The Southland Music Line Returns To South By Southwest
- Bruce Springsteen: The Southland Music Line Follows The Boss To Australia & New Zealand
- Della Memoria: A Beautiful Dream Finds New Beginnings
- Part One: A Year in Review
- Part Two: Johnny Cole – A Year of Travelin’ & 300+ Shows
(includes acknowledgements and links to full list of shows)
- Part Three: Stephen Anderson – A Year in Photography
- Part Four: Robby Amonett – A Year in Music-Inspired Art
- Part Five: A Photo Retrospective (5 Pages of Photos)
- Part Six: Favorite Albums & Shows
- Part Seven: Lisa Mills: 2016 Music Artist of the Year
- Part Eight: Readers’ Choice Awards
Recent Photos by Stephen “Andy” Anderson:
- Mississippi “The Birthplace of America’s Music” Turns 200 (including photos of Jaimoe, Paul Thorn and The Band Perry) -A Five Page Photo Collection.
- Maggie Koerner at Callaghan’s in Mobile, AL (Thur. Mar. 30, 2017)
Spotlight Music of the Month
“Silent Sea” – Christina Christian
This month we are highlighting the album “Silent Sea” by southern Alabama’s very own Christina Christian. This twelve song collection contains an engaging group of original music. Christina is known around the Deep South for her gift as a songwriter and honest delivery of a song. “Silent Sea” is testament of her earnest devotion to doing what she obviously loves. The album begins with “Around We Go”, a perfect introduction and one of my early favorites. It is followed by “Quirky Little Thing”, a song co-written with Lynn Langham whose songs have been recorded by such artists as Wynonna, Emmylou Harris and Rodney Crowell. Another standout track is the delightful “Keepin’ You Young” accompanied by Nick Biebricher. With the passionate “Call It What You Want”, Christina pulls you in with her heartfelt lyrics paired with a pleasing instrumental accompaniment. The song has that “it factor” and is deserving of radio airplay. Christina Christian, no stranger to songwriting, has given us a well-crafted album of songs to enjoy. We will certainly be hearing from her in the coming years.
Last Month’s Spotlight Music
“The Ebb” – Della Memoria”
This month we want to recognize Richard and Mollie Chin as Music Fans of the Month. They are true devoted fans of the local music scene and can regularly be found in some the Gulf Coast’s best music venues such as Callaghan’s, Manci’s and The Listening Room. It doesn’t matter where you see this charming couple, whether it be at The Frog Pond at Blue Moon Farm or a local house concert, they are a welcome sight. We speak for everyone, it is a pleasure attending shows with The Chins.
Click Here for Music Fan of the Month Archives