- Mississippi Songwriters Festival 2019 & Hall of Fame Induction of Paul Overstreet by Johnny Cole and Connie Gibbs
- 12 Q&A Series: KneeOn Sisters – Colorful, Bright & In Flight by Johnny Cole
- Barstow Revival – Real Life by Brenda Germany
- Mississippi Blues Trail Series – Pensacola Blues by Johnny Cole
- Truitt Williams – Words to Live By (by Brenda Germany)
- Two Memorable Nights at The Listening Room – Chely Wright & Bryan White by Johnny Cole
- Mississippi Blues Trail Series – Natchez & Ferriday by Brenda Germany
- Mississippi Blues Trail Series – Hattiesburg & Laurel by Johnny Cole
- A Promising Outlook on the Rest of 2019 – A Spotlight on 15 Music Artists by Johnny Cole
- The Southland Music Line Looks at 2019 (So Far) by Johnny Cole
Spotlight Music of the Month
“A Modern Man’s Way to Improve” by Royal Horses
– Being released on Vinyl & Digital –
(Official Release Date: November 1, 2019)
There are lots of bands who strive to show their southern roots, but few do it with such enthusiasm and musical diversity as do this ensemble of three. Royal Horses’ 2019 release “A Modern Man’s Way to Improve” authentically builds on what is felt as an honest approach towards music. The track “Bottom of the Chart” somewhat reminds me of the mid-80’s Georgia Satellites when it comes to slight comparisons, but take my word, Royal Horses undeniably display their unique character as a band and this new album proves it.
This past spring, I was introduced to these musicians at the Crooked Letter Brewing Company in Ocean Springs (MS) where I quickly became a fan. Shelby Kemp’s vocals and guitar licks can take on most any song; it’s no wonder he has received so much recognition across the region. Kenny Paul Mann on upright bass and Daniel Firth on drums perfectly round out this southern power trio. Early favorites of mine: “Leave a Light (Sweet Lane), the goin’ to church intro and ending to the great song “There She Walks”, and the unexpected and very different “Rattlesnake Smoking a Cigarette”. The Royal Horses’ “A Modern Man’s Way to Improve” is a great addition to a collection of exciting albums that have been released in 2019.
Click Here To Pre-Order and Visit Their Website.
Recent Spotlighted Music
“The Wizard & The Witch”” by Red and The Revelers
Getting high on Red & the Reveler’s new album – “The Wizard & the Witch” definitely works its magic. Red Padilla’s big vocals take you on a soul-stirring ride of emotion and excitement. Its eight songs tap into everything from his unique style of country on “Heavens Cried for Oklahoma” to an intriguing bit of spookiness on “Astaroth’s Lament” and a James Brown style funk with “Ease on In”. The Southland Music Line was privileged to cover the outstanding release party for the album’s first single “Rainy Day Suggestion” this past spring.
Click Here for Spotlight Music of the Month Archives.
The Southland Music Line is pleased to name Joe and Sue Sweeney as October 2019’s Music Fans of the Month. This wonderful couple, who recently celebrated their 37th wedding anninversary, can be found at numerous live music events across the Gulf Coast, including shows at Callaghan’s Irish Social Club, The Listening Room of Mobile, and Cedar Street Social Club. As loyal supporters of the local music scene, they are known for lovingly opening their home to some very exciting house concerts, too. Joe and Sue are an easy choice for this month’s recognition and we look forward to attending many more shows with them.
Click Here for Music Fan of the Month Archives