- Mississippi Blues Trail Series – McComb: Summit Street & Bo Diddley by Brenda Germany
- The Peoples Room of Mobile – New Name, Same Listening Experience
- The Southland Music Line 2019 – A Year in Review
- Sugarcane Jane – 2019 Music Artist of the Year
- Mississippi Blues Trail Series: Mississippi John Hurt & The Mississippi John Hurt Homecoming Festival 2019 by Johnny Cole
- Bogalusa Blues & Heritage Festival by Johnny Cole and Brenda Germany
- Mississippi Songwriters Festival 2019 & Hall of Fame Induction of Paul Overstreet by Johnny Cole and Connie Gibbs
- 12 Q&A Series: KneeOn Sisters – Colorful, Bright & In Flight by Johnny Cole
Spotlight Music of the Month
“Live” by Sugarcane Jane & The Bucket Fillers
Recent Spotlighted Music
“A Modern Man’s Way to Improve” by Royal Horses
– Being released on Vinyl & Digital –
(Official Release Date: November 1, 2019)
There are lots of bands who strive to show their southern roots, but few do it with such enthusiasm and musical diversity as do this ensemble of three. Royal Horses’ 2019 release “A Modern Man’s Way to Improve” authentically builds on what is felt as an honest approach towards music. The track “Bottom of the Chart” somewhat reminds me of the mid-80’s Georgia Satellites when it comes to slight comparisons, but take my word, Royal Horses undeniably display their unique character as a band and this new album proves it.
This past spring, I was introduced to these musicians at the Crooked Letter Brewing Company in Ocean Springs (MS) where I quickly became a fan. Shelby Kemp’s vocals and guitar licks can take on most any song; it’s no wonder he has received so much recognition across the region. Kenny Paul Mann on upright bass and Daniel Firth on drums perfectly round out this southern power trio. Early favorites of mine: “Leave a Light (Sweet Lane), the goin’ to church intro and ending to the great song “There She Walks”, and the unexpected and very different “Rattlesnake Smoking a Cigarette”. The Royal Horses’ “A Modern Man’s Way to Improve” is a great addition to a collection of exciting albums that have been released in 2019.
The Southland Music Line is pleased to recognize Kathy Kirkland as December 2019’s Music Fan of the Month. She is a true supporter of the Gulf Coast live music scene, most notably as a fan of Sugarcane Jane – 2019 Music of the Year at The Southland Music Line.
Click Here for Music Fan of the Month Archives